Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Introduction

Ever since I can remember, my mom kept recipes on 3 x 5 index cards in a bright green, plastic file box.  After her death, that file box of treasured recipes became my responsibility.  What should I do with it?  Pass it on to the best cook of the next generation?  Store it in a plastic tub with other family relics?  Let it sit on a shelf and collect dust?  Transcribe the recipes into a cookbook?  Photocopy the recipes and save the file to CDs for every family member?  As time passed, I rejected each of these alternatives for a variety of reasons.  Then one day I hit upon the idea of sharing them in a blog.  This would make the recipes easily available to almost everyone in my mother's very, very large family, and it wouldn't cost me a fortune in time and money to disseminate the recipes.  It's a win-win, as I see it.  I hope you enjoy reading these recipes and maybe trying some of them.  And maybe they'll jog a few good memories along the way.

For the sake of history, I'm posting the recipes as they were written with the exception of obvious spelling errors or typos.  It's fun to read how things were written so many years ago and learn the terms that were commonly used.  As time allows, I'll try some of the recipes and post the results.  Readers who try these recipes are welcome to post their results in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment